We Provide Impartial Advice

Our trained advisors offer specialist housing advice. Clients experiencing mental ill health can be supported by our Mental Health Support Worker alongside their housing case.

We can advise you on:
• Evictions
• Homelessness
• Mortgage repossessions
• Disrepair
• Problems with your landlord
• Housing options to find accommodation
• Other housing issues of a practical nature

Key in Door

For immediate action in the following areas; click the links below.

If you are unsuccessful, or you are facing eviction, then contact us for advice.

Help with Private Renting

You can download a list of local private landlord’s Private Landlord List 2023

3 Ways to be first in line to secure a private rented property
1. Be clear on what you want and get in quick.
70% of rental listing received an email enquiry from a potential tenant looking to view a property within the first day of it being listed on the website.
“Tenants need to do their homework and decide what they really want from a home so they can be targeted-online, with agents, family and friend.”
“Then when instant alerts come through they can move quickly and get to the front of the queue. Be focused and be prepared. Being first won’t necessarily guarantee you the property but it will help.”
Campaign group Generation Rent agreed. Spokesman Dan Wilson Craw said it was essential to know what the property needs to have, such as storage for a bike or a washing machine already installed. 2That way if you view a property that ticks all the right boxes you can apply for a tenancy on the spot,” he said.

2. Have references and contacts ready
Being loaded with information really helps landlords and agents when looking to choose a tenant. “Be clear about your circumstances and how flexible you can be with your timelines. Be upfront and provide clarity. The more you can do to work with a landlord, the better.” Generation Rent said aside from having the holding deposit worth one week’s rent in your account, prospective tenants needed to provide evidence of their income. That includes letting your employer and current landlord know they’ll need to provide a reference.

3. Look further afield
If you have exhausted your time trying to find a rental in your perfect area try thinking outside the box. You can bring more properties into your orbit which you might not have considered. Geographically, a home may look too far away but its travel time might be quicker than you thought. This can open up your search to cheaper areas or slower rental markets. Be flexible about where you’re willing to live, cast your net wider into non-student areas and be willing to travel a little bit further. Know your budget, have your deposit sorted and know who your guarantor will be.

Please note we are not able to be guarantors.

Help paying your tenancy deposit:

It can be difficult to save up for a deposit, particularly if you’re on a low income.

Your local council might be able to cover the cost of your deposit through a rent deposit scheme or rent guarantee scheme.

A rent deposit scheme lends you money in advance to pay a tenancy deposit, which you’ll pay back over time.

A rent guarantee scheme (or bond scheme) gives your landlord a written guarantee – known as a bond – instead of a cash deposit. If you have problems paying your deposit, the scheme provider will use the bond to pay your landlord – this means you don’t have to pay the deposit yourself.

You might have to repay the scheme provider any money paid out through the bond.

You might also be able to get a deposit through a homelessness prevention fund or social services. You might need to pay the money back over time – every council has different rules.

If you are struggling to cover your rent you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment:

Leicester City Council:
Oadby and Wigston:
Hinckley and Bosworth:

For further information on responsibilities and rights either as a landlord or a tenant you can visit the following website:

Problems with private renting

If you have:
Problems with your landlord
Lack of repair issues
Increases of rent without prior notice
Incorrect serving of notices

Leicester City Council now have selective licensing so Landlords can be monitored. If you have problems or concerns please contact: privatesectorhousing@leicester.gov.uk

Back to immediate action options ˄

Applying for Council Housing

Please note that it can take up to 56 days for a decision to be made on a housing application

Leicester City Council:
Blaby District Council:
Oadby and Wigston Council:
North West Leicestershire Council:
Charnwood Borough Council:
Melton Borough Council:
Hinckley and Bosworth Council:
Rutland Council:

If you have had a homeless assessment and have been placed into Band 1 you will only be offered one property. If this offer is declined, you will be placed into Band 3 unless there are problems with the area i.e. violence, or domestic abuse from an ex-partner.

Back to immediate action options ˄

For repair issues –

If you are a private tenant:
You must firstly contact your Landlord or your lettings agents to report the issue and allow them time to resolve the issue. 

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant:
You must firstly report the issue to your Housing Officer, or report online if your Council/Housing Association has this option.

Back to immediate action options ˄

Environmental Health Issues
For issues such as damp, mould, rats or mice infestation –

If you are a private tenant:
You must firstly contact your Landlord or your lettings agents to report the issue and allow them time to resolve the issue. If they do not resolve this issue then please contact Environmental Health.

Leicester City Council: 0116 454 1001
Blaby District Council: 0116 275 0555
Charnwood Borough Council: 01509 634651
Harborough District Council: 01858 828282
Hinckley and Bosworth Borough: 01455 255734
Melton Borough Council: 01664 502502
North West Leicestershire District Council: 01530 454545
Oadby and Wigston Borough Council: 0116 2888961

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant:
You must firstly report the issue to your Housing Officer or report online if your Council/Housing Association has this option.

Back to immediate action options ˄

Return to top ˄